Home Insurance FAQ’S

Is my house covered while I’m on holiday or in Florida for the winter?

Your homeowners policy provides coverage whether you are in the house or not. However, there is no coverage for a loss caused by freezing of a plumbing or heating system during the normal heating season if the house is unoccupied more than 4 consecutive days unless the house is checked daily or the water shut off and drained.

Automobile Insurance FAQ’s

If my car is hit while parked and the other driver leaves will my insurance go up?

Hit and run situations are unfortunately common. The person who damages your car doesn’t take the responsibility for their actions, leaving you in the lurch. If your vehicle is involved in this situation, notify the police immediately. If the authorities are notified within 24 hours of the occurance any claim you submit to your insurer will not affect your rating. Note that your insurer can only respond if you carry Collision coverage on the vehicle and that your deductible will apply.

If someone under the age of 25 drives my vehicles are they covered?

With the insurance companies we represent the answer is yes, however there are some of our competitors that do specifically exclude drivers under the age of 25. It is important to ask your representative and get a clear answer. If the driver is a resident of your household, you do need to advise your insurance broker of their name and drivers license number.

What Do I Do When I have been involved in an accident?

Being involved in an accident can be a very stressful event. To help you protect both yourself and your interests, please follow these directions:

  • Call the police immediately, and an ambulance if necessary. The police must be called if there is damage greater than $750.00 or if there are any injuries. Failure to notify the police can result in charges
  • Do not admit liability.
  • Record details of the accident including date, time, location, a description of the accident, any injuries, and any charges laid.
  • Record details concerning the other party and vehicle such as owner’s name and address, phone number, and vehicle year, make and model. It is very important to obtain the insurance information of the other driver. This includes the name of the insurance company and the policy number and the name of the broker or agent.
  • Obtain a copy of the police report from the attending officer as this will have the accident report number for future reference.

Who is covered by my auto policy?

Any licensed driver operating your vehicle with your permission is covered. However, all licensed drivers in your household must be declared, as must anyone who regularly drives your vehicle. Remember – your insurance goes with your car, so if you lend your car, you also lend your insurance. If the personal using your car causes an accident, it will go on your insurance record and your premium may increase as a result. Also remember that the driver of your vehicle must be “authorized by law” to operate it. If that person does not have a drivers licence or the proper class of licence your insurance may not apply. Coverage on your vehicle may also not apply if the driver commits a “policy violation” such as driving while impaired or if the operator is convicted of a Criminal Code offense. Please make yourself aware of the limitations and exclusions of your auto policy.

General Questions

How do I reduce my insurance premiums?

Ask your insurance broker to show you all your options. With automobile insurance ,that may include increasing deductibles for collision, comprehensive or direct compensation for property damage; for an older vehicle deleting collision coverage altogether; combining your automobile policy with your house insurance policy. You should also check that you are receiving all the discounts that are available for you eg. Mature age, multivehicle, multipolicy, drivers training, good student , conviction free, short commute etc.

With property insurance you options may include considering a standard form or broad form of coverage rather than a comprehensive form ( your broker can explain the differences ); increasing your deductible; installing a monitored alarm system; insuring your automobile policy with the same company; deleting coverage on nonessential items eg. jewellery, cameras, silverware. You should also again check that you are receiving all the discount that can apply to your situation.