One of the benefits you may not realize that you can receive in the event you are injured in a car accident is the Caregiver and Housekeeping & Home Maintenance Expense.
The Caregiver Benefit
The Caregiver Benefit is reimbursement to hire someone to perform your caregiving duties if you are the primary caregiver for a person in need of care.
Think on this:
1. Do you have children or elderly parents and you are their primary caregiver?
2. Who would care for them if you were injured in a car accident?
3. Are you a single parent?
4. How will you make sure that your expenses are not drained to subsidize care for these individuals in the case of an unexpected car accident?
Under the standard Automobile policy, there is coverage for up to $250 a week for the first person in need of care, $50 for each additional person in need of care for Catastrophic Injuries only.
You can extend this benefit to cover Serious and Minor injuries, not just Catastrophic for an additional premium.
Housekeeping and Home Maintenance Expenses
This particular benefit is reimbursement for someone to carry out your household responsibilities.
Think on this:
1. Do you live in a house or condo?
2. Who normally does the housekeeping or home maintenance in your household?
3. Do you live alone?
4. Are there people in your life who could help you care for your home if you were injured in a car accident?
5. If you had to hire someone to help you care for your home, how would you subsidize the expense?
Under the Standard Auto Insurance Policy in Ontario, the benefit provides up to $100 a week for Catastrophic Injuries only.
You can extend this benefit to cover serious and minor injuries for an additional premium.
It is important to understand how your car insurance policy responds in the event you are injured in a car accident. You may need to tailor your policy to fit the needs of your lifestyle.
Contact your broker to discuss Accident Benefits coverage.